As your business grows and changes to meet the needs of your customers, your warehouse will need to change and grow as well. Whether you’re planning on renovating your current warehouse, or relocating to a new one, there are a few renovation tips you should consider to make the process as stress-free as possible.
How to Prepare
Renovating a new warehouse space can be stressful for both you and your staff, so we wanted to give you a few tips to help you and your employees get off to a good start.
- Keep it to Code: It’s much easier to identify the local building, safety and fire codes you’ll need to adhere to during the construction process prior to starting so there are no surprises, and you aren’t putting your employees in danger.
- Inventory Count: As you’ll soon find out, warehouse renovations and construction can get hectic, and this tip aims to minimize that chaos. It’s a good idea to update your inventory and create an organization system before the process starts, so everything is ready before the renovation gets underway.
- Staff: If you plan to keep your warehouse or business functional during the renovations or relocation process, it’s a good idea to refresh your staff on the basic practices of your business. The renovation process can sometimes distract employees or throw them off of their daily routines, so we suggest going over your business’s safety procedures with them and addressing how day-to-day operations will be changing so they are prepared.
Construction & Design
There is an overwhelming amount of functionality and design features to consider when you’re planning the renovation of your warehouse, but these tips can help you focus on what’s important.
- Size: You should spend a substantial amount of time considering how big your warehouse needs to be, as well as how large each section or department needs to be. Your warehouse needs to accommodate your employees, equipment, and products, but you also need to consider things like the size and number of loading bays you’ll require and the turning radius of your forklifts.
- Growth: The reason you’re renovating a warehouse is likely that your business has grown, so one of our most important warehouse renovation tips is to not forget that. Your business will hopefully continue to grow with every passing year so make sure your current design is flexible enough to accommodate your future growth.
- Flooring: Think about the structural and functional features you will need from your warehouse flooring. First and foremost, it needs to be level, but it also needs to be strong enough to support any heavy machinery you may use, plus you’ll need anti-slip flooring in the appropriate areas as well.
- Energy Efficiency: Take this opportunity to consider how you can make your warehouse and your business more energy efficient. In addition to the environmental responsibility you have as a business owner, following this tip will save you money through rebates during the renovation process and in the future, because it will reduce your day-to-day operational costs.
Looking for a trusted contracting company to renovate your warehouse?
Mirodan is ready to help!
Why We Are a Trusted Full-Service Contractor
1) We do projects for clients from start to finish! Our team handles everything from the initial drawings and permits, to the design and construction of your build, making the process straightforward and manageable!
2) We have completed custom residential, commercial, and industrial projects all across Canada.
3) We are proud to offer a 100% guarantee on all of our work. We always work hand in hand with our clients to ensure they get exactly what they want out of their project.
4) We strive to always be on budget and on time! We believe in full transparency with our clients through careful scheduling, planning, and communicating about the process and their needs!
5) We take control of project management from the start! If you have a complex job, but are without drawings and need a quote, we have you covered!
Mirodan Contracting has been servicing the construction needs of the Greater Toronto Area and beyond for 20 years. Our expert team has the skills and experience to complete any project in any industry.